Low Carb Tuna Casserole – This is my low carb, gluten free take on a traditional classic. You won’t even miss the pasta.
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried dill or 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tsp dry mustard powder (get it here)
- 3 – 5oz cans albacore tuna, drained (I use this brand)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- medium head green cabbage (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut into large shreds
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil and butter in an extra large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the cabbage, onion, celery, garlic, sea salt and black pepper to the pan.
- Sauté until the vegetables are crisp tender – about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the dill, mustard powder, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour the heavy cream and 1 cup Parmesan cheese into the pan. Mix in and keep stirring until the cheese has melted and combined with the heavy cream.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Once the sauce has started to thicken, stir in the tuna and the peas.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top of the dish and transfer to the oven.
- Broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until the Parmesan on top has made a golden brown crust.