I 1st created this direction nearly 10 years past after I was following the terribly previous Weight Watchers program. Back in those days, you had to count points for each single issue you set in your mouth. it had been a great deal tougher to stay track, and a great deal harder to follow the program.This dinner direction is terrific – even though you’re not following any variety of weight loss program. A classic chimichanga is deep cooked, and also the filling contains rice and meats. during this direction, the chimichangas square measure baked, and also the filling is created with lean ground turkey, a gently spiced sauce, and low fat cheese. The tortillas necessitated during this direction square measure fat free, however you’ll be able to definitely use regular flour tortillas if you don’t care this.
- 8 ounces 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Four 8-inch low carb flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.