Another fun fact about this recipe? Everyone can enjoy it! Ok fine, everyone except my primal paleo peeps who don’t do legumes. Man they’re missing out right now! This crunchy chickpea salad is vegetarian with an easy peasy swap to make it vegan. It’s also dairy-free and gluten-free and packed to the brim with all things veggie.
Whether you raid your garden, your local farmer’s market, or even the grocery store produce aisle, this salad is sure to rock your plate and veg up your eats!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 3 stalks green onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup store bought or homemade mayonnaise vegan or regular
- 1-2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp dried dill or fresh, to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 TBSP unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped basil plus extra to taste
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- multi-grain sandwich bread
- arugula or romaine lettuce
- extra basil as desired
- optional tomatoes and/or red onion
TASTY SANDWICH SPREAD OPTIONS
- spicy mustard
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad. I use both a potato masher and follow up with a fork to make sure every chickpea is deliciously smashed. You could also use a food processor and skip the arm workout!
- Chop your green onion, celery, shredded carrots, pepper, and pickles.
- Add to the bowl with your chickpeas, then add mayo, dijon, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in sunflower seeds and basil (as much or as little as you’d like) and adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl spoon-first – anything goes!